Texas Border Affairs
Rio Grande Valley, Texas – IDEA Public Schools is pleased to announce that 13 college prep schools have been ranked among the top 1% of toughest high schools nationwide by theJay Mathews Challenge Index High School Ranking,formerly known as America’s Most Challenging High Schools published inThe Washington Post. Among the list of top 300 high schools nationwide, IDEA McAllen College Preparatory is ranked number one.
According to the 2022 ranking, eight IDEA schools ranked in the top 20 of all high schools nationwide. Additionally, IDEA schools ranked in the top 50% of charter schools in the nation, with four schools ranked in the top 10.
“This great news is yet another testament to our incredible IDEA team, a team working hard collectively to achieve record-breaking results,” said Collin Sewell, Interim CEO and Superintendent of IDEA Public Schools. “We know that the time, thought and innovation that has been put in place enables IDEA students to achieve the maximum. But it is important that external national institutions recognize the value of an IDEA education.”
The 13 IDEA high schools that will receive a ranking on the 2022 National List include:
- In the national top 10:
- #1 – IDEA College Preparatory McAllen
- #5 – IDEA College Preparatory Pharr
- #6 – IDEA San Juan Preparatory College
- #7 – IDEA Preparatory Frontier College
- In the national top 20:
- #11 – IDEA Alamo Preparatory College
- #15 – IDEA Weslaco Preparatory College
- #16 – IDEA Toros College Preparatory
- #17 – IDEA College Preparatory Edinburgh
- Other IDEA high schools that are on the list and in the top 1% nationally include:
- #22 – IDEA Carver College Preparatory
- #28 – IDEA Quest Preparatory College
- #31 – IDEA College Preparatory Donna
- #37 – IDEA Brownsville Preparatory College
- #44 – IDEA Weslaco Pike College Preparatory
The Challenge Index is the oldest high school ranking system in the nation, since 1998 in bothNewsweekandThe Washington Post.It ranks public and private secondary schools by the number of Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate or Cambridge tests administered each year at a school, divided by the number of seniors graduating that year. Schools ranked no. 220 or more are in the top percent of America’s 22,000 high schools.